6 TBS butter or ¼ C oil
1 C sugar
2 large eggs
1 TBS grated lemon peel
1 C white or brown rice flour
6 TBS potato starch
2 TBS tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp salt
¾ C buttermilk or 2 tsp lemon juice or cider vinegar with enough milk (cow, rice or soy) to = 3/4 C
1 tsp vanilla
• Preheat oven to 325°. Coat a 9x5 inch loaf pan or two 5x2 ½ inch pans with cooking spray. (The cake rises better in smaller pans) Set aside.
• Using an electric mixer, cream together oil, sugar and eggs on medium speed until thoroughly blended. Add grated lemon peel.
• In medium bowl combine flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, soda and salt.
• In another bowl combine buttermilk and vanilla.
• On low speed, beat the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Beginning with the dry ingredients and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
• Spoon batter into pan(s). Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. For 9x5 pan, cook 50-55 minutes. For 5x2 ½ pan, bake for 35-45 minutes.
• Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
To make cupcakes, bake 12 cupcakes for 20-25 minutes or until done. To make a layer cake, bake two 8-inch round pans for 30 minutes. Line the pans with parchment paper and lightly spray with oil for easy cake removal.
**For a white cake, substitute 3 large egg whites for the two eggs.