Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Gold Fish Crackers

Back to school means back to thinking about and making snacks...I came across this recipe for goldfish crackers.  It sounded so easy and simple and it was!!  I didn't have a fish cutter, so for today is was hearts of gold!!  I would definitely like to try these again but maybe add a little garlic powder and some parmesan cheese.






4 oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
4 Tbs. Butter (Softened just a tiny bit)
3/4 c. Cornstarch
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 Tbs. Milk
Topping: salt, dried herbs or spices if desired

Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. (Parchment paper works well too)
Combine all the ingredients, except the milk, in a medium size-bowl. Mix until the mixture resembles a fine crumb. Add the milk and beat well.
On a lightly greased surface (I rolled mine between two pieces of wax paper), pat or roll the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 3/4 inch squares or another small shape that you like. You can also cut the dough into larger round or square shapes, just extend the cooking time.

Prick the tops of the crackers with a fork and sprinkle lightly with your desired topping (I just used salt).
Bake on the prepared baking sheet until golden brown and crisp, approximately 10 minutes. The crackers will be light and crispy, although barely browning at the edges. The bottom of the crackers will have a bit more color.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and will definitely be checking back! Thanks for sharing your great recipes!
    Could you add the thing to your site that allows us to click to subscribe to your RSS feed? I'd like to have it coming into my google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These biscuits are so delicious, I can't believe they are gluten free!! I've made them many times and will continue to do so!! I just love them!!!

    ReplyDelete