Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sweet Italian Sausage with Zucchini and Tomatoes

This has been an awesome summer addition to our dinners.  There is just something great about tomatoes and sausage together!  Even my three year old had multiple servings.



6 links Whole Ranch Sweet Italian Sausage (I just used the horseshoe shaped ones I get from Sam's or Costco)
2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4-6 large garlic cloves finely chopped
3 TBS fresh oregano finely chopped (or 1 TBS dried oregano)
1 pound of zucchini cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 pound mixed red and yellow cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half (I only had red)
1/2 C chopped fresh basil (I used about 1 1/2 tsp dried)
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare sausages according to package directions, either in a sauté pan or on the grill. While they are cooking, heat olive oil in a large heavy sauté pan over medium high heat. Add garlic and oregano, stir for a few seconds, then add zucchini and cook 3 to 5 minutes.

When sausages are cooked, cut into large bite-sized pieces and add to pan along with tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Continue to sauté until tomatoes are just softened, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a large platter and serve.

**The first time I made this I followed the directions as outlined above.  I felt like between the olive oil and the grease from the sausage in was a bit to much.  So the second time I did not use the olive oil.  I just cooked the sliced sausage pieces until heated through and then add the remaining ingredients and followed the remainder of the recipe as above.

No comments:

Post a Comment