Sunday, March 1, 2009

Homemade Applesauce

So my brother bought us a rice cooker and I think it is my new best friend. Besides making the best rice it can steam vegetables and cook other dishes in it. I had a bowl full of apples on the verge of not being eatable, so I thought I would try to make some applesauce. Oh, my, yummy! It put the boughten stuff to shame. I only wish I had more apples!



How I made it:

4-5 apples cut, peeled and chopped ( I think they were Gala and Braeburn)
1 C water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 TB sugar
1 TB brown sugar

*The amount of sugar and cinnamon is up to you and the amount of flavor you want. This was just what I tried and we really liked it.

I put 1 cup of water in the bottom of the rice cooker and then placed in the steaming tray. Cut, peel and chop the apples. Steam for 15 minutes or until tender. If you don't like chunks like myself, scoop the apple pieces into the blender and add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Can be served either hot or refridgerated until chilled. This only made about 1 1/2 cups of applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment