Monday, February 9, 2009

Homemade Chili

It's cold outside, so that means we are having soup! Tonight I made up some homemade chili. Back in the day I used Bush's Chili Beans, but they have wheat in them, so I have adapted my own version. We like it and hope you will too! I like to make mine in the crockpot, but I'm sure it can be done on the stovetop.



Homemade Chili
1 lb. gound beef, cooked and drained
2 cans pinto beans rinsed and drained
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce plus 2 cans of water
1 medium onion chopped
1 celery stalk sliced
1 tsp (generous) minced garlic
2 tsp salt
1/2 pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
Grated cheddar cheese

Add browned beef, beans, onion and celery to crockpot. Combine tomato sauce, water and seasonings and then pour over meat and beans. I cook mine on low for 6 hours.
Add a handful of grated cheese into chili before serving. Serve with more grated cheese on top. Some of us like cornbread with our chili and the rest of us like tortilla chips.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, if only my family would eat chili!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Came across your blog through the Albuquerque Blogs listing on Feedjit. Anyway, my sis was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about a year ago too. She's a newlywed, just learning to cook, with the added twist of gluten free! Anyway, we're both forever looking for practical and yet tasty gf recipes. Thanks for adding another place to check in at! I'll be sure to let her know about your site!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete