Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Basic Muffin Mix

This recipe here is the basic muffin mix from http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/ . These are a hit with my kids and my husband! I added blueberries as well another batch with poppy seeds. They freeze well and I like to make mini ones as well for they are great to pack for road trips or for a snack at the park. These are the lemon poopy seed muffins. Two are topped with a lemon and powdered sugar glaze, leaving the third plain. They are very tastey either way.
For Christmas morning breakfast I made the lemon muffins only I made them in mini bundt pans and they turned out so cute!


Basic Muffin Mix
½ c. butter or margarine
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp salt.
¾ tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp lemon juice
½ c. sour cream
1 ½ c. featherlight mix
½ c. GF mix
½ c. milk

Topping:
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg

Heat oven to 375°. Grease muffin pans.
In a bowl whip butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Add vanilla, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, lemon juice and sour cream. With a rubber spatula fold in half the flour and half the milk, repeat until all the flour and milk has been used. Sprinkle the topping on top of each muffin.

Bake 15-20 minutes for mini muffins, 25-30 minutes for regular muffins. They should be golden brown and springy to the touch.

** I used the featherlite mix to make the 2 C (That recipe can be found under the Label Flour)

**To make blueberry muffins I added about 1/3 package frozen blueberries. I did not put topping on.

**To make Lemon poppyseed muffins, I added about 1 – 1 ½ TBS poppyseed.
For the glaze:
2 TBS lemon juice
1 C powdered sugar




No comments:

Post a Comment